Also known by the name Ambiok, the Hilton garden is one of the most picturesque in Darjeeling: it sits beside the majestic ruins of Fort Dalim. It stretches over 155 hectares at an altitude of between 600 and 1,550 metres. This Grand Cru was made from the superb “Ambari Vegetative 2” cultivar, known as AV2, which produces teas of superlative quality.
This year, the spring harvest is starting early for the first time ever. This special authorisation has been granted to just six gardens by the Tea Board of India, the public organisation that promotes the growing, processing and marketing of Indian tea. Hilton, one of these six gardens, is offering us an exceptional first batch of Darjeeling first flush.
This Grand Cru is characterised by its elegant astringency and pronounced aromatic freshness, with vegetal and floral notes that linger in the mouth.
- Darjeeling, India
- Tea colour:
- black tea
- Appearance: thinly rolled leaves and buds with a high degree of regularity
- Colour: a blend of dark green and light green, with some flashes of silver
- Scents: fresh vegetal, raw vegetables, finely toasted
- Scents: very vegetal, floral, almond-flavoured
- Colour: golden
- Texture: delicate astringency
- Flavours: sweet, slightly bitter
- Aromas: a highly vegetal attack (fresh vegetal, stems), raw vegetables (artichokes), floral (white flowers) and fruity (citrus zest), bitter almonds, toasted bread
- Aromatic profile and length in the mouth: a spring Darjeeling characterised by its very fresh notes (vegetal), with subtle floral and almond-scented fragrances. Its elegant astringency prolongs the notes into a lively and almond-scented finale with toasted nuances
Suggestion of preparation
With the tasting set: 3'45 minutes in water heated to 85°C
Grands Crus: savour the exceptional
Rare and ephemeral, teas identified as Grands Crus by Palais des Thés are the result of alchemy between a tea plant variety, its terroir and the talent of an artisan grower. Meticulously plucked, processed and sourced in the most respected tea gardens, our Grands Crus unveil unique flavours that reflect the refinement of their origins.