This black tea is from Yên Bái province in Vietnam. This Sen Den, or Lotus black tea, is made from age-old Shan tea plants. It is harvested on the heights of Suoi Giàng, at an altitude of more than 1,000 metres. The name of this mountain, which is famous for its centuries-old trees, means "divine spring". Every spring, the village chief chooses a suitable day to celebrate the gods of the ancient forest and to pray that the year's harvest will be plentiful.
It is a tea flavoured with freshly picked lotus flowers. The flowers are withered for 4 hours before the different parts are separated from one another (petals, seeds and pistils). The tea is then mixed with the seeds and stamens. The flavour of the lotus will thus be transferred by contact throughout an entire night until the stamens are completely dry. This resulting mixture is then heated to 40 degrees for 4 hours. Depending on the intensity of the desired flavour, the contact with the pistils will be repeated up to four times. The tea is then sorted by hand. This manual production process requires great know-how, dexterity and precision.
A lotus-flavoured black tea with a silky texture. The complex notes of lotus flower (floral, aniseed, vegetal) blend with the flavours of the black tea.
- Yên Bái, Viêtnam
- Tea colour:
- black tea
- Appearance: finely rolled large leaves
- Colour: dark brown
- Scents: wood, aniseed, animal
- Scents: lotus flower at the start against a backdrop of honey
- Colour: amber
- Texture: velvety
- Flavours: sweet with a slight bitterness
- Aromas: floral start with an intense flavour of lotus flower against a woody, waxy backdrop of honey (fir honey), with hints of aniseed
- Aromatic profile and length in the mouth: a very subtile flavoured tea revealing all the complexity of the lotus flower with its heady yet fresh notes. The flavours of the flower intertwine with the intense, gourmet notes of the black tea to create a perfect balance
Suggestion of preparation
With the tasting set: 3'45 minutes in water heated to 85°C
Grands Crus: savour the exceptional
Rare and ephemeral, teas identified as Grands Crus by Palais des Thés are the result of alchemy between a tea plant variety, its terroir and the talent of an artisan grower. Meticulously plucked, processed and sourced in the most respected tea gardens, our Grands Crus unveil unique flavours that reflect the refinement of their origins.