This Vietnamese Grand Cru is inspired by the production methods behind the Taiwanese Oolong Dong Fang Mei Ren, more commonly known as Oriental beauty. It is harvested at 1,200 metres above sea level along the Hoang Lien Son mountain range, in the Lai Chau province in Vietnam's north west. This highly rare Oolong is an original combination of Taiwanese tradition and the wealth of the Vietnamese soil.
Just like the Formosan Oriental Beauty, the leaves of this tea are nibbled by small tea jassids. The molecular structure of the leaf is affected by these bites, leading it to develop a strong, complex aromatic intensity. The best way to bring out this tea's potential is to follow the Gong Fu Cha preparation method.
A Grand Cru with a very smooth texture blending gourmet notes of honey, vanilla, coconut and frangipani flowers.
- Lai Châu, Vietnam
- Tea colour:
- Oolong, highly oxidized
- Appearance: large twisted leaves, very rich in tips
- Colour: brown leaves and silver buds, green and coppery hints
- Scents: honey, floral, fruit
- Scents: very honey, apricot, floral
- Colour: amber
- Texture: thick, creamy
- Flavours: sweet
- Aromas: wood honey, vanilla, coco, buttery, almond milk, floral (frangipani flower), waxed
- Aromatic profile and length in the mouth: a rounded, gourmet tea. Its rich, thick texture covers the palette with an array of sweet and intense honeyed, vanilla and floral notes
Suggestion of preparation
With the testing: 5 minutes in water heated to 90°C
Grands Crus: savour the exceptional
Rare and ephemeral, teas identified as Grands Crus by Palais des Thés are the result of alchemy between a tea plant variety, its terroir and the talent of an artisan grower. Meticulously plucked, processed and sourced in the most respected tea gardens, our Grands Crus unveil unique flavours that reflect the refinement of their origins.