This exclusive plucking comes from Lai Chau province in Vietnam.
This exceptional tea develops a powerful floral, fruity attack with lingering notes of honey and vanilla. A unique taste sensation!
The plucking, consisting of one bud and one leaf, starts either at the beginning of summer or the middle of autumn, depending on the year.
There are several processing stages:
- After harvest, the leaves are withered.
- They are then placed in a bamboo tube. They are rolled delicately and develop powerful aromas.
- The leaves are then lightly rolled again.
- Lastly, they are highly oxidised before being dried.
- Lai Chau, Vietnam
- Tea colour:
- Oolong (oxidation 60 - 70 %)
- Appearance: large attractive rolled leaves with plenty of buds
- Colours: mainly copper with a few dark brown and green leaves
- Scents: honey, wood, vanilla, spices and a hint of liquorice
- Scents: an intense, heady nose with floral, fruity notes, combined with scents of vanilla, butter, honey, wood and liquorice
- Colour: gleaming amber-yellow
- Texture: a smooth texture with a slightly powdery feel
- Flavours: sweet
- Aromas: very fresh to start with a floral accent (rose) and notes of zest and exotic fruit, followed by warmer aromas of honey, vanilla (pod), butter, cooked fruit, nuts (hazelnut), spice (nutmeg) and subtle underlying notes of wood and liquorice
- Aromatic profile and length in the mouth: a good presence in the mouth from the start, with powerful fruity and floral notes. The honey, wood and liquorice qualities are incredibly long-lasting, and the delicate texture adds to the pleasure of this tasting
Suggestion of preparation
With the tasting set: 6 minutes in water heated to 90°C
In a small zhong: short infusions (15 seconds to 2') repeated up to 7 times in water heated to 90°C
Grands Crus: savour the exceptional
Rare and ephemeral, teas identified as Grands Crus by Palais des Thés are the result of alchemy between a tea plant variety, its terroir and the talent of an artisan grower. Meticulously plucked, processed and sourced in the most respected tea gardens, our Grands Crus unveil unique flavours that reflect the refinement of their origins.