The Kabuse is a shaded tea: several days before the harvest, the tea plants are covered over. This light deprivation causes theanine to build up in the leaves, and lead to an exceedingly soft tea. This tea comes from a rare cultivar known as Asatsuyu.
This tea is grown organically and certified by Ecocert, an accredited independent certification body.
- Kagoshima, Japan
- Tea colour:
- green tea
- Appearance: thin leaves shaped into needles
- Colour: dark green, bright leaves
- Scents: pastry-like notes
- Scents: vegetal, floral, fruity
- Colour: pale yellow
- Texture: thick, with a very subtle astringent finish
- Flavours: umami
- Aromas: highly vegetal initial aroma (fresh vegetal), iodised, zesty, buttery, floral
- Aromatic profile and length in the mouth: a spring green tea with a very rich texture as well as powerful aromatic notes. Its intense umami flavour unveils vegetal, iodised and buttery notes to perfection, resulting in a long finish
Suggestion of preparation
With the testing: 2 minutes in water heated to 70°C
Grands Crus: savour the exceptional
Rare and ephemeral, teas identified as Grands Crus by Palais des Thés are the result of alchemy between a tea plant variety, its terroir and the talent of an artisan grower. Meticulously plucked, processed and sourced in the most respected tea gardens, our Grands Crus unveil unique flavours that reflect the refinement of their origins.