This fine third-flush tea has middle notes of flowers and black fruit, which contrast with the woody notes that linger in the mouth.
Mandala ruby is a high-quality black tea from the La Mandala garden, which lies at an altitude of more than 2,000 metres, in Ilam district. This plantation processes its tea using rare, artisanal methods.
For the past few years, some Nepalese plantations have broken with tradition and are following their passion to produce a new generation of teas of very high quality that are truly out of the ordinary. Ilam and Dhankuta, in the east of Nepal, are unlike the large plantations. Here, they produce a sixth of Nepal’s tea using the traditional method: the tea leaves are kept whole, resulting in wonderfully rich aromas.
- Ilam, Nepal
- Tea colour:
- black tea
- Appearance: large twisted leaves with a few buds
- Colours: brown and gold
- Scents: fruit, wood, nuts (walnut), cocoa
- Scents: fruit, wood (dried wood), honey, burnt notes (cocoa, coffee bean)
- Colour: amber
- Texture: a powdery feel
- Flavours: a subtle sweetness
- Aromas: wood (dried wood and waxed wood) aromas that have a good, lingering presence throughout the tasting, an accent of flowers and black fruit (blackberry), nuts (walnut), and underlying burnt notes (coffee bean, roasted cocoa)
- Aromatic profile and length in the mouth: lively and rich from the start, with middle notes of flowers and fruit, which create variety. A lovely finish with notes of wood and coffee bean
Suggestion of preparation
With the tasting set: 4 minutes in water heated to 85°C
Grands Crus: savour the exceptional
Rare and ephemeral, teas identified as Grands Crus by Palais des Thés are the result of alchemy between a tea plant variety, its terroir and the talent of an artisan grower. Meticulously plucked, processed and sourced in the most respected tea gardens, our Grands Crus unveil unique flavours that reflect the refinement of their origins.