Gyokuro is a shaded tea: 3 weeks before they are harvested, the tea bushes are deprived of light to encourage an umami taste, and a smooth texture. It's name means "Jade dew", a reference to its elegance and tenderness. This excellent Gyokuro is from Kirishima, in Kagoshima. It is produced by Mr. Nishi from the Asanoka cultivar.
It is ideal for those who want to brew tea the traditional way using a Kyusu, or a Shiboridashi. It is also possible to make cold brew tea by replacing the water with ice cubes. The infusion is finished when the ice cubes have completely melted, and you will obtain a concentrated, intense liqueur that is as rare as jade dew.
This tea is grown organically and certified by Ecocert, an accredited independent certification body.
- Kagoshima, Japan
- Tea colour:
- green tea
- Appearance: shiny leaves shaped into highly-regular fine needles
- Colour: dark green, glossy
- Scents: fresh vegetal, floral, vanilla
- Scents: fresh vegetal, floral, marine notes
- Colour: pale green
- Texture: smooth
- Flavours: very umami
- Aromas: fresh grass, floral, almond milk, crab, pastry-like note, buttery finish
- Aromatic profile and length in the mouth: a Grand Cru, with complex floral, vegetal, marine and gourmet notes which are revealed together smoothly. Its distinct, elegant aromas blend with a round and very thick texture which give the boundlessly umami taste a long finish
Suggestion of preparation
To prepare hot tea :
With the tasting set: 2'30 minutes in water heated to 50°C
With the Kyusu / Shiboridashi by successive infusions of 1 minute.
To prepare iced tea:
Steep 15g per 1L water and infuse at room temperature for 30 minutes. When the infusion is ready, place the liquor in the fridge to cool.
Grands Crus: savour the exceptional
Rare and ephemeral, teas identified as Grands Crus by Palais des Thés are the result of alchemy between a tea plant variety, its terroir and the talent of an artisan grower. Meticulously plucked, processed and sourced in the most respected tea gardens, our Grands Crus unveil unique flavours that reflect the refinement of their origins.