Tiramisu with Grand Jasmin Chun Feng Tea
Serves 6 Dessert
One 20X14 cm mousse ring
- 330 g (10.5 oz) mascarpone
- 35 g tea
- 4 eggs
- 90 g (½ C) caster sugar
- 3 g leaf gelatine
- 1 Tbsp liquid crème fraiche
- 1 packet ladyfinger biscuits
- 20 g (3 Tbsp) powdered sugar
- Steep 10 g of tea in 100 mL of water at 75°C (165°F) for 3 minutes. You will use the brewed tea to make a syrup.
- In a small saucepan, warm 150 g (5 oz) of mascarpone over low heat.
- Add 2 Tbsp water to thin the mascarpone and prepare the mixture for steeping.
- Once the mascarpone has melted and reached a temperature of 75°C (165°F), remove from heat and steep 25 g of tea in the liquid for 5 minutes, covered.
- Remove the tea bag or leaves, then refrigerate the infused mascarpone for approximately 30 minutes to thicken. Mix into the remaining mascarpone.
- Prepare the syrup: pour the brewed tea and powdered sugar into a small saucepan.
- Bring to the boil for 5 minutes, then remove from heat. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- Put the gelatine in a large bowl of cold water for 10 minutes to soften.
- Separate the eggs.
- Beat the egg whites until they turn opaque and start to become frothy. Gradually add half the caster sugar, continuing to beat until the mixture holds stiff peaks.
- Beat the yolks with the remaining caster sugar for 5 minutes or until they double in volume. The mixture will become pale yellow and frothy.
- Add the mascarpone to the egg yolk/sugar mixture in three parts, then whisk to obtain a smooth texture.
- Gently wring out the gelatine sheets, then place them in a small bowl and melt for a few seconds in the microwave. Add the crème fraiche, stirring vigorously.
- While whisking quickly, add the crème fraiche mixture to the mascarpone/egg white mixture. It is very important to work quickly so that the gelatine does not set.
- Next, delicately fold in the egg whites, taking care not to deflate the mixture.
- Dip the biscuits quickly in the syrup and arrange them in your dish or in the mousse ring (set on a cutting board or plate covered with clingfilm for easy removal).
- Do not leave the biscuits in the syrup for too long or the excess will seep into the tiramisu.
- Assembly: Cover the biscuits with a layer of mascarpone mixture, then add another layer of syrup-dipped biscuits, and finally cover with the remaining mascarpone mixture.
- Smooth the surface, cover with clingfilm, and refrigerate overnight before serving.