Wok-Fired Soba with Vegetables Genmaicha Yama
Serves 4 Dish
- 70 g tea
- 1 packet soba (Japanese buckwheat noodles)
- 200 g (7 oz) shiitake mushrooms
- 100 g (3.5 oz) snow peas
- 3 carrots
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 spring onions
- Fresh coriander
- Steep 70 g (2.5 oz) of Genmaicha Yama in 1 L of water at 75°C (165°F) for 2 minutes. Remove the tea leaves and set aside the brewed tea to cook the soba noodles.
- Peel the carrots. Rinse the carrots, snow peas, and shiitake mushrooms in cold water.
- Heat a pot of salted water and blanch the snow peas for 3 minutes. Drain and cut in half.
- Cut each carrot in half and then into small rounds. Cook the carrot rounds in a pot of hot salted water for 4 minutes, taking care to remove them while still crunchy. Drain and set aside.
- While the vegetables are cooking, slice the mushrooms and sauté them over high heat in the wok for 10 minutes with 1 tablespoon of sesame oil. Stir often and salt at the end of cooking.
- Pour the brewed tea into a large saucepan, bring to the boil, and add the noodles.
- Cook according to package directions, removing 2 minutes before the time indicated or they will be too sticky. Drain the noodles.
- To finish, add the remaining vegetables to the wok, along with the noodles and another tablespoon of sesame oil. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes. Season to taste.
- Cut the coriander and spring onions with scissors and sprinkle over the wok.